Thursday, March 20, 2008

Arthur C. Clarke 1917 - 2008


Here's some recent news that rather saddened me: Arthur C. Clarke, whom I will not need to tell lovers of science fiction was the author of the short story The Sentinal, and co-author with Stanley Kubrick of the film's adaptation, 2001: A Space Odyssey, passed away yesterday at age 90. I confess I have not read any of his printed works, but I consider 2001 to be the greatest and most spiritual film ever made. Since learning of his passing, I picked up a copy of his novel Childhood's End, at Barnes and Noble, after having read about the numerous unsuccessful attempts to film the tale.

I'm eternally greatful to Clarke for one of the greatest contributions to cinema. Even those who don't personally care for 2001, I think, can still admit that without that film, science fiction probably would never have been taken seriously as an art form. A true titan of the medium, he will be fondly remembered.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home