Thursday, August 03, 2006

If they move, kill 'em!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

A few assorted jabberings...

Went to see The Wild Bunch at BAM Rose Cinemas last night, and all I can say is, fuckin' wow. What a great film. I think it has edged out Once Upon a Time in the West as my favorite western ever. The cast is absolutely terrific, it's got more testosterone than The Great Escape, The Dirty Dozen and Raging Bull all put together, and the whimsical chaos and violence of Peckinpah's style still puts most modern action movies to shame. Ya two-bit redneck peckerwood!

As far as upcoming movies go, there's also a lot to look forward to... Alfonso Cuaron's Children of Men, a not-to-distant future story where all women are infertile, Christopher Nolan's The Prestige, a turn-of-the century thriller about duelling magicians, and TMNT (!), there is also Martin Scorsese's feature film swan song The Departed, an Irish Mob/Police thriller which not only stars Jack Nicholson, Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Mark Wahlberg and Ray Winstone, but also my close friend Mr. Andrew Bemis! I can't wait to see this at the movies with you and Jess, man. The rest of ya's can read some more about Andrew's movie extra adventures on his blog. As far as the trailer goes, it looks terrific. Apart from that rather iffy cover of Comfortably Numb, it looks like we're in for a great big helping of Martin Scorsese Movie Magic. I can't wait.

Another shoutout goes to my pal and fellow filmmaker Jules Carrozza, whose cultish, Shaw Brothers-ified adaptation of Little Red Riding Hood is reported to be coming along beautifully. He's put up a blog detailing the filmmaking process complete with a teaser trailer. I don't think anything else I've seen this week made me guffaw as hard as the Wolf's line delivery of "THAT'S A LIE!"

Oh, and this just in... New Hampshirites rejoice at the title of upcoming Die Hard sequel.

5 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Bemis said...

The Wild Bunch must have been a blast - I go back and forth between that and Pat Garret and Billy the Kid for my favorite Peckinpah. Thanks for the nod.

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Call me a corporate movie whore if you like, and I am, but I'm curious as to what you think of the new Pirates. I thought it was great fun, fixing nearly every quibble I had with the first.

12:46 AM  
Blogger Dr. Criddle said...

Drew - You're welcome. I still need to see Pat Garrett, as well as Straw Dogs and a mess of other Peckinpah movies. I think he might well become one of my favorite directors.

Matthew - Haven't seen it yet. I've been going to the movies to see old films pretty much exclusively except for A Scanner Darkly and Superman Returns, and the mixed things I've heard about Pirates 2 makes me lean towards waiting until Phyllis gets the DVD.

2:54 PM  
Blogger J.L. Carrozza said...

Jack, Dead Man's Chest is actually really good. I went in with low expectations but was actually very pleansantly surprised. It's easily The Empire Strikes Back to Curse of the Black Pearl's A New Hope. See it at least to see the visual effects work, which is likely the best in any movie (yes, Davy Jones looks better than even King Kong).

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jack, the borrowing option is an entirely honorable call, though I believe that the sets, locations and effects (never mind Depp and Co.) deserve the big-screen treatment.

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home